Tuesday, November 10, 2009

VETERAN'S DAY TRIBUTE

VETERAN'S DAY TRIBUTE
November 11, 2009
RICHARD CARR BOWMAN


I decided to pick one of my Veteran's to Honor today and chose my 2nd Great-Grandfather:

Richard Carr Bowman was born 23 Nov 1837 in Washington Co., TN.
He enlisted in Crawford's 60th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry in 1862 and was captured at Vicksburg, Ms on 17 May 1863 at the battle of the "Big Black". He survived 21 months in 3 prisoner of war camps. He was first sent to Camp Morton, IN., from there to Fort Delaware, DE and finally to Point Lookout in VA. where he was exchanged in Feb 1865.

He went on to marry Mary White on 14 Jan 1866 and have two children, ten grandchildren and too many descendants to list.

I am very proud of all my families Veteran's, but I felt Richard deserved this spot of honor for surviving and continuing our line.


No comments:

Post a Comment